Although I am an avid BJP baiter and hate them ………..here is what I feel on the communal riots:
1. Conversion per se is not bad ……… and every individual has his right to decide what religion he wants to follow/change.
2. Forced conversion is bad and should not be allowed. The Hindu right groups have alleged that the Christian groups resorted to this. However the Christians deny that. So it is debatable wether ‘forced’ conversion actually happened and with how many people being involved. If it was voluntary conversion – I would side with those who got converted ………it was their right. If it was forced – then whoever did that …should be punished.
3. Deriding another religion and speaking ill about the gods of other religions – is not the right thing to do. It should not be allowed. The Christian groups had no business to deride the Hindu Gods.
4. The Hindu rightist groups attacked many churches and prayer halls ………..under the pretext of ‘getting back’ at the Christians. Many innocent Christians were injured/killed because of this. Should is utterly reprehensible. This should be punished and the perpertrators should be identified and brought under the rule of law.
5. The police forces actually entered the churches/prayer halls to arrest stone throwers and rioters. The police should not hesitate to enter temples to arrest hindu right wingers hiding there ……….if need be. The police don’t seem to have pursued them with the same earnest as they did to arrest goons with christian background.
6. The violence was allowed to get out of hand. It spread to Chickmangalur and Kerala. The government should have been alert and prevented this from happening.
7. A pogrom …on the scale of Gujrat …….almost happened. Things have not passed yet ……..and things could still get out of hand.
Please also read this article:
God save Karnataka.